Topics

Mt Vernon’s Apple Butter Makin’ Days (Oct 12th-14th).

Bill Gilmore - KCØTCF

Kendel  Klein, W0KLK, has provided information about Mt Vernon's Apple Butter

Makin' Days.   They could use volunteers.   HAM's especially with the parade on

Saturday.

This will not be a GCARES event but your participation would be greatly appreciated!

Bill, KC0TCF  GCARES EC

Mt Vernon’s Apple Butter Makin’ Days (Oct 12th-14th).

 As usual, we could use 35-40 volunteers to help keep things running smoothly for all the participants and visitors. Last year it was estimated that 100,000 people came sometime during the 3 day event.

 The two activities we need the most help with are 1) the Parade on Saturday Oct 13th; & 2) Help with monitoring the Handicapped Parking areas Friday – Sunday (Oct 12-14th).

1)      The Parade on Saturday. Before the Parade starts, we need people to help Parade Entrants find their correct staging location. We will provide maps showing where the different groups/entrants are supposed to be located. Volunteers are assigned to specific street corners, where they will answer questions and direct parade participants to their proper location. This will involve standing/walking from 6:30 AM until about 11:00 AM the morning of the parade. You can bring a chair if you would like. We will provide small handheld (FRS) radios to assist volunteers with communications. HAM radio operators are Greatly Appreciated and requested to bring their own HT’s for use on a 2M frequency.

2)      Handicapped Parking (HP) Areas.  This position involves checking to see that people wanting to park in the HP area have an actual Handicapped license plate or mirror tag. If they don’t, then we redirect them to the free parking i) on the street, ii) at the Baptist church, iii) at Silgan’s, iv) or at the Spirit of ’76 Park. We have 4 different areas to watch over each day, Friday - Sunday. Shifts run from 7:30 AM to 11:30 AM and from 11:30 AM to 4:30 PM. You can bring a chair to sit in if you would like.

If you have a Ham radio license, I would especially like to encourage you to help with the Parade on Saturday. We’ll be using a 2M simplex frequency with Net Control located in the middle of the Parade Staging area. Most of our Hams are placed around the periphery of the Staging area. This allows us to answer people’s questions Before they get into the Staging area, and can’t get easily out again. Net Control will know all the answers, or can contact someone else who does. If you are new to Ham radio, this is a great opportunity to get involved in a practical application that uses radio communications.

If you have any questions, or would like to help us, please contact:

Kendel Klein

W0KLK

Phone: 608-618-1955 (This is a Google Voice number, so leave a message and I’ll call you back)

Email: ABMD.Volunteer@...

James Wollard - KCØWSK

Bill,

Unable to make this event as attending a funeral in Jefferson City.

jw
KCOWSK